Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Fever in the morning, fever all through the night...

So , yesterday was my first experience with baby fevers.  I was out and grabbed some breakfast and Anna was acting a bit lethargic.  We went to the post office and I thought she felt hot.  Trying to avoid going to the doctors yet again, we have had appointments at least weekly since we moved here.  They really take care of you and want to make sure things are going well here!  Especially when you are a new mother with a new baby, that's for sure!  I have never actually had better medical care than we have while being here.  We are most certainly not lacking in medical attention, it has been really great actually, just sometimes a bit of an annoyance.  Anyway, the post office was filled with men but before I finished up the things I was doing a woman came in and I asked her if she had any children, she said one.  I then asked her if Anna felt warm to her.  She said a little.  So, I decided to take Anna to Grandma Joan's house.  Joan wasn't home but Grandpa Fred got out the thermometer and sure enough Anna had a fever of about 100 degrees.  So, I called the health center, really just wanting advice.  I said that my baby had a fever.  They made an appointment for a couple hours later.  The doctor did a check up and said she wasn't too concerned but if her fever went to 101 we should give her paracetamol (Tylenol) to cool her down.  We should also strip her, and make sure she still eats at least every 6 hours.  So, I felt kind of proud of myself for being able to tell Anna was acting a little unusual and that she had a fever.  It reminded me of the story my mother told me about when I was in the hospital and the doctor asked what my temperature was.  My mother felt my forehead and said 103, but the doctor took my temperature to see anyway.  Sure enough it was 103 and the nurse looked at the doctor and said, Never question a mother.  Anyway, I wasn't too proud of myself because I felt bad for my little one.  She was not too pleased with feeling sick.  It wasn't until later that night that I realized I felt sick too, Actually I threw up middle of the night and had a fever of 99.7 (she totally had me beat!) but, today her fever seems like it is back to normal and I feel better as well.  But I have to say this is one part of being a mother I do not look forward to.  You know how parents always say that they hope their children with have children just like them so they will know what it is like.  Well in my case I certainly hope that isn't true, at least medically, my mother always described me as her sick one.  But anyway, all is well for now.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, your temperature was 104 in thta emergency room all those years ago. Glad you both are back on the road to recovery.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww poor Anna but she is very lucky to have such an alert mother. I hope you feel better soon and that you and Anna continue to improve. Take care of yourself and your mother and I will come take care of you both in a couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just the first of many...Maybe that is why she was having trouble the night before.

    ReplyDelete