Thursday, August 28, 2008

a Little bit of sleep, goes a long way

Yesterday, I spent the day dragging Little around which definitely made sleeping a bit difficult.  She kept waking up.  She wasn't too pleased about it either.  She had to spend the morning with me at the hospital (they have loads of dr. appts in the hospital) for my Glucose Tolerance test.  They do it for mothers who had Gestational Diabetes to check and make sure it is gone.  Anyway, Little had to sit there for 2.5 hours while I drank the sugary drink and then waited to take the blood test.  She did great though, in that as she tried to go to sleep for over an hour, very tired laying on me.  She just sat quietly trying and trying and being woken up every time there was a noise.  But she didn't even get fussy and eventually, she made it.  I think it is adorable because ever since she was born, she has gotten a little smile (typical of newborns) once she drifts off to sleep, as if she is saying "I did it!"  Anyway, due to the fact that sleep was so difficult to come by, she was very fussy at night as she was exhausted, and she takes after me (and I think a lot of people) in that when she is the most tired she has a harder time falling asleep.  So, after considerable trying, it took at least 1.5 hours to make it to sleep.  She finally made it at about 12:00ish last night.  She also slept in our bed because she was way way to tired to be able to stay asleep when we put her down.  Trust me, tried.  She in fact ended up falling asleep when I put her in her Boppy and laid right next to her touching her check with mine, breathing on her and cuddling her.  But, a beautiful thing happened because of it of the lack of daytime sleep.  I was awakened in the middle of the night to the sound of her making noises.  Drew looked at the clock and it was 5 am!!!  She never slept that long straight without feeding before.  It was Great!!!  Also, she wasn't fussing for food at the time.  When I woke up and looked at her she had her eyes wide open and was just laying there calmly studying her hands.  When I picked her up, she started fussing.  For only about a second, the time it took me to lift her up and put her on my breast which she then decided she was a bit peckish and calmed down.  I know she is not quite to the point where this will be an everyday occurrence but, I am working toward that by trying to keep her awake and very full today.  =)

1 comment:

  1. I understand your reasoning, but in my experience, the more a baby sleeps, the more they sleep. It is weird. Occasionally, the baby will make up for sleep when they haven't had enough. But, I swear that my kids wake up at the same time no matter when they go to sleep. So, beware...

    ReplyDelete