Thursday, August 28, 2008

When the chips are down, use cash

So, one thing that has been pretty frustrating to me during our time here in the UK has been something commonly known as the chip card.  Whenever you make a purchase almost all British cards have computer chips in them.  Most places will still take "slider cards" like the one we have.  The chip cards are actually pretty cool, I think it would be great if the states started doing it.  But the problem here is even though most places take slider cards, they often time have no idea what to do with it.  You would think they never existed in this country at all, which they did.

A few weeks ago Drew and I were Joking as we walked out of an appliance store where we were in search of a toaster oven.  The 20 somethings who worked there said Oh you mean a foreman Grill (no we mean a toaster oven).  The older man who worked there knew what we were talking about but said they didn't carry them and suggested we try another appliance store (which also didn't carry them and thought even after a description that we must have meant a foreman grill).  Anyway we walked outside and drew joked to me that we would take our slider cards, get in our horse drawn carriage, and look elsewhere for a toaster oven.  That is how people react as though we are asking questions and using the technology from another century.

So here is where my frustration begins in trying to get one of these new fangled chip cards.  We have 2 British bank accounts.  The bank account we have on base, even though it is a British account in pounds and everything doesn't offer chip cards.  The other bank account "we" have (its really Drew's account) won't add me on because I have no proof of address.  That's right, they will accept proof in the form of a bill in your name sent to your address but my name isn't on any of the bills (at least not so far) because I don't have an income.   Being married to someone who wants to add you to their account to which they have proof  of address doesn't count.  It will take a little time to get a  proof of address so I have to be patient use Cash if places don't take "slider cards" that is simple to poke out with my card on base, but I just need to make sure I don't run out of cash like I did this morning as I tried to buy some butter and cream at one of the only stores I have come across who doesn't accept Slider cards.  Luckily, I dragged Anna outside looked through the change in my car and found the 3 pounds I needed to make my purchase.  So for now I need to really pay attention and do like my mother always told me, make sure to carry cash just in case you can't use your card.

5 comments:

  1. argh. Things like that always happen to me. I just can't remember my pin numbers to get cash out, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no. Can you use ATM with slider cards? I will not have a chip card.. We will be there in just 5 days. How exciting. Love you, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you had to learn the hard way about carrying cash - I did try to teach all three of you girls the importance of cash, so I'm glad one of you has finally learned that lesson! Can't wait to see you on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, why does skype always say that you are offline. I can never get through. When do mom and dad leave?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought you said that you put in 8 new posts?

    ReplyDelete